What the Regulations say...
The BREEAM Domestic Refurbishment (BDR) scheme, was formerly the Ecohomes Assessment, and was launched in June 2012. The Domestic Refurbishment scheme applies only to existing buildings.
Though BREEAM Domestic Refurbishment doesn't appear in any of the Building Regs, your Local Planning Authority (LPA) may very well add it in to the Planning Conditions of your project.
Getting that all important "Yes"
- There are 3 stages of BREEAM Domestic Refurbishment - a)Pre-Assessment, b) Design Stage and finally c) Post Construction Stage.
- There are mandatory credits that need close consideration such as internal water use and fire and carbon monoxide detection and alarm systems.
- Its important that your Pre-Assessment shows how the design will achieve the water, energy and ventilation categories.
Simple 5 - Step Process
1. Liaise directly with your Planning Officer, Building Control Officer and Building Control.
2. Complete your Pre-Assessment "Roadmap".
3. Identify easy-win credits and provide you with a easy to use reporting structure.
4. Make recommendations and highlight potential danger areas.
5. Complete all 3 stages and meet your deadlines.