Get a Quote

Residential Acoustic Testing

Everyone deserves some peace and quiet, and where better to chill than in your own home. Current Building Regulations should mean that listening to noisy neighbours from your new home is a thing of the past.

Residential Acoustic Testing - At what stage(s) does this apply during planning?

Do I need an acoustics test?

Residential Acoustic Testing (also referred to as Sound Testing), will likely be required as part of Planning Conditions to show that the building includes enough soundproofing to meet today’s standards. In England and Wales, Approved Document Part E sets out maximum decibel levels that you should expect to hear from your immediate neighbours.

One of the worries of moving into a new house is wondering how noisy the neighbours are going be. New homes can’t stop the all night garden raves, but they can reduce the sound that travels through party walls, floors and ceilings.

In dwellings, a developer can either:

  • Build party walls in line with the specification set out in Robust Details

  • Commission acoustic tests to be carried out on a selection of party elements in your development.

Detached homes do not require acoustic testing.

Top Tips for Residential Acoustic Testing

  • Separate tests are also required on walls adjoining corridors in blocks of flats.

  • If you are constructing in line with Code for Sustainable Homes or BREEAM you may be expected to achieve tougher targets in exchange for valuable credits.

  • Your Building Control Officer (BCO) can request more or fewer Acoustic Tests than the Building Regulation states.

  • Your planning conditions may stipulate a Sound Survey and a Vibration Survey. This is a more wide-reaching test that considers the whole site and its surroundings.

The Energist Approach

  • We can review your plans and planning conditions and talk to your Planning Officer (if you'd like us to). 

  • Our acousticians can carry out tests – ideally this is done just before carpets are fitted. The tests and targets vary depending on the type of homes in the development.

  • We will complete the surveys in a timely way and send the report and certificates within 7 days. 

You may also need:

SAP   |   CSH   |    SBEM    |   Noise and Vibration Survey

View all Residential Services