Get a Quote

New threshold for Display Energy Certificates

Are you ready for the new 500 m² threshold for Display Energy Certificates?

As a council, meeting your legal obligations regarding energy certification across your obligated sites is about to become more of a minefield: the floor area threshold for public buildings is currently 1000m² but from January 2013 it will be 500m².

Which buildings will be affected?

The official definition of a ‘public building’ is one that “is occupied in whole or part by public authorities and by institutions providing public services to a large number of persons and therefore frequently visited by those persons”. The types of buildings that will require a DEC include: • Central or local government offices • NHS trusts • Places of education • Police buildings • Courts and prisons • Institutions providing public services including museums, art galleries and swimming pools.

The implications

It is important to prepare now for the considerable increase in the number of buildings that will need a Display Energy Certificate. So what are the implications? Your assessor will need copies of all utility bills for the last twelve months. If you don’t provide all the required documents it will have profound implications for your assessment. Just one missing or invalid bill means your Display Energy Certificate automatically gets the lowest G rating! Because of this, it’s incredibly important to make sure your paperwork is in order. Don't get caught out - all you need to do is plan ahead and hire a good company to help with this time-consuming task.  

Jon Ponting

Author: Jon Ponting

This article was published by Jon Ponting on 15.10.2012.