Find out how the new AD L will impact your upcoming developments AD L White Paper
Newly built residential houses

Home User Guide

A Home User Guide is basically an instruction manual for the house that tells a new occupier where the meters are, how to use the heating system efficiently, and where to find your nearest shops, bus stops and cycle routes.

How Energist can help

As part of Part L Building Regulations in England, developers are required to provide handover documentation to the first occupants of a new home. One way of achieving this is to have a Home User Guide (HUG) produced. The document acts as an information pack that includes:

  • An overview of the house construction
  • Where you’ll find fuse boxes and meters
  • How the boiler works
  • The best way to set up your boiler to reduce fuel bills
  • Information about local transport links, shops and health centres.

If your development has an existing Code for Sustainable Homes (CSH) requirement, you can earn useful credits by having a Home User Guide created. Alternatively, a bespoke HUG can be produced voluntarily to match your own style and preferences.

Request a quote Tel: +44 (0)8458 386 387

Dalton Barratt

Energy and Sustainability Specialist


Dalton Barratt

Energy and Sustainability Specialist

Why choose Energist?

  • Energist are familiar with producing Home User Guides from experience creating the now redundant Code for Sustainable Homes. If you are still building in line with Code for Sustainable homes, this user guide can earn you 3 easy credits.
  • Our Home User Guides can be plot, house type and site specific.
  • We do the research for the information to go into the Home User Guide (e.g. waste collection dates, local schools etc.)
  • Our Home User Guides are bespoke to suit your individual needs.

Complete solutions from Energist

Whether you need a HUG because of a CSH requirement, you need a manual to satisfy Part L or you want to create one voluntarily as part of your final handover, we can produce Home User Guides which meet your requirements.

  • For planning applications made before 2015, Code for Sustainable Homes may still be required as part of legacy planning conditions.
  • For residential dwellings, a SAP Calculation is required to show energy efficiency compliance.
  • Daylight and Sunlight Assessment may be required as a planning condition at the request of your local authority and will show the impact of your proposed development on neighbouring buildings.