Find out how the new AD L will impact your upcoming developments AD L White Paper

What is the difference between SAP and SBEM?

13 Apr 2015


Every new building with a heating system will need to be assessed to check energy efficiency against current Government emission targets.

If you are building houses or apartments blocks, each dwelling will need it’s own SAP calculation completed – this should ideally happen before work starts on site.

Any building that isn’t a dwelling will require an SBEM calculation. The fundamentals of both SAP and SBEM are the same, but SAP is designed to more accurately reflect the carbon emissions of our homes.

SBEM is geared up to reflect CO2 from any other type of building, from offices to hotels, warehouses to sports halls.

There is a grey area when it comes to student accommodations and care homes. Generally, if individual apartments are self-contained (in other words, they each have their own bedroom, kitchen and bathroom facilities), they will need individual SAP calculations.

Any shared areas (corridors, shared lounges, staff rooms) will need to be covered in an SBEM calculation.

Guest houses and holiday homes could fall into either category, as they could be defined as both a commercial property, but the building is being used as a dwelling. In these cases, we would refer to the local building control body to see if they have a preference.


View all articles