Receive all the latest industry news to your inbox in our newsletter Sign up
New build residential house living room

Air Leakage Testing

Build quality is an important part of any build. Air Leakage Testing is required as part of Building Regulations to confirm the results of SAP or SBEM Calculations in a proportion of residential and non-domestic buildings. There are strict targets within building regulations to ensure new properties reach a decent standard of air tightness. 

How Energist can help

Air testing regulations in England are changing.

Proposals include 100% testing regime for new dwellings, lowering the maximum score to 8, and introducing pulse testing as an alternative. Click here to find out more.

Building Regulations require a proportion of new homes and non-domestic buildings to be tested for air leakage. Also known as ‘air permeability’ and ‘air tightness’, the test is used to finalise the results in SAP or SBEM Calculations because the more airtight a building is, the more energy efficient it will be. Strict targets within Building Regulations ensure that new buildings reach an acceptable standard of air tightness and energy efficiency before an Energy Performance Certificate can be issued.

Our team of Air Leakage Test Engineers cover sites throughout England and Wales and work closely with our Technical Team at Energist HQ to ensure reports are checked and issued on the same day.

Request a quote Tel: +44 (0)8458 386 387

Rhiannon Smith

Lead Consultant


Rhiannon Smith

Lead Consultant

Why choose Energist?

  • Our dedicated team of ATTMA accredited Air Leakage Testers will help you achieve the best result.
  • Our on-site Engineer can also conduct a pre-test inspection to help identify any areas that are likely to cause a non-compliant test.
  • Should your test fall short of its required air test score, our Engineer will stay on site while remedial works are completed and then can retest on the same day, for no extra charge.
  • If needed, we can check your plans and liaise with your Building Control Officer.
  • Your test certificate can be issued in as little as 60 minutes after the test has been completed.

Complete solutions from Energist

Air Leakage Testing are one of a host of services that Energist’s Technical Team can help you with. You may also need:

  • For residential dwellings, a SAP Calculation is required to show energy efficiency compliance.
  • For commercial buildings, a SBEM Calculation is required to show energy efficiency compliance.
  • Many Local Planning Authorities now request a BREEAM Assessment to ensure a building is constructed to a high standard.