Find out how the new AD L will impact your upcoming developments AD L White Paper
Acoustic testing for building regulation compliance in flats

Acoustic Testing

Acoustic or Sound Testing measures noise that can negatively impact the relationship between a building, the environment and the neighbours, and ensures that acoustic performance meets targets imposed under Building Regulations.

How Energist can help

On new residential developments, party walls and floors can be constructed in line with specific building practices known as Robust Details. If you stray away from these standard designs, you will have to have a building tested to ensure acoustic performance meets targets imposed under Building Regulations.

Acoustic Testing may also be required to achieve credits in BREEAM or Code for Sustainable Homes Assessments. If you are building detached dwellings, Acoustic Testing will not be required as there are no Building Regulation targets.

Building a hotel, care home or school?

These buildings require specific acoustic requirements, however most other buildings are exempt, such as detached dwellings which have no acoustic targets. Our team can review your plans and planning conditions to confirm whether testing is required on your development.

Request a quote
Hotel apartment hallway acoustic

Why choose Energist?

  • Our Acousticians are ANC certified and work closely with our in-house specialists to offer advice on where you can make improvements.
  • Our trusted team of specialists won’t leave you high and dry. If, for whatever reason, your building is shown to not be up to scratch, we’ll give you advice on what improvements can be made.
  • Our in-house team of specialists can help ensure your Acoustic test results will work alongside your BREEAM or Code for Sustainable Homes Assessment.
  • The ideal time to commission Acoustic Testing is before the final floor finishes and carpets are fitted. Our Acoustician will need to measure impact sound through floorboards, so a plush new carpet would give a false reading.

Complete Solutions from Energist

  • Building Regulations require a proportion of new homes and non-residential buildings to be tested for Air Leakage Testing. The test is designed to confirm the results in SAP or SBEM Calculations by showing that the more airtight a building is, the more energy efficient it will be.
  • For planning applications made before 2015, Code for Sustainable Homes may still be required as part of legacy planning conditions.
  • Many Local Planning Authorities now request a BREEAM Assessment to ensure a building is constructed to a high standard.