Find out how the new AD L will impact your upcoming developments AD L White Paper
Commercial office buildings SBEM assessment

SBEM Calculation

Before construction begins, you will need to have an SBEM Calculation completed for your new non-domestic building to check the expected carbon emissions against a target. This calculation is then used to produce the EPC.

How Energist can help

To prove a new non-domestic building is compliant with Part L Building Regulations, a Simplified Building Energy Model (SBEM) Calculation must be completed. Our accredited SBEM assessors perform this desk-based assessment based on the drawings and details of your proposed site and check the expected carbon emissions of the building against a target. Once building work is complete on site, the SBEM can be used to produce your EPC.

The SBEM should be completed once you’ve been granted planning permission but before work starts on site, to give our specialists the best opportunity to offer solutions and ensure compliance.

If you are also working to BREEAM on your development, your SBEM results will have a big impact on the credits available to you. Our in-house team includes BREEAM advisors who will work with our SBEM team to find the best solution for you.

Request a quote Tel: +44 (0)8458 386 387

Steve Hull

Energy & Sustainability Specialist


Steve Hull

Energy & Sustainability Specialist

Why choose Energist?

  • We offer a fast-track service with a turn-around time of 3 working days from when we receive the required information.
  • We won’t over specify in order to get Part L compliance and we’ll identify cost savings you can make.
  • We’ll get back to you within 24 hours if you have a query.
  • Our team are available to offer general advice and consultancy over the phone.

Complete solutions from Energist

  • For new-build developments, it’s more than likely you’ll also need to arrange Air Leakage Tests to be completed once building work has finished.
  • If BREEAM has been requested in your Planning Conditions, our in-house team can guide you through this process, where SBEM accounts for a substantial amount of credits.
  • Existing commercial building, whether a shop, office, factory or hotel, will need a Commercial Energy Performance Certificate (CEPC) before being sold or rented.

Case study

When CAMM Architects were involved in the design of a new classroom building in Harlow, they were requested to provide a large photovoltaic array on the roof costing approximately £36,000.

Aaron Perry in our Technical Team reviewed their specification and looked at several alternative solutions in a bid to reduce the amount of PV panels by improving details elsewhere in the build. After reviewing the building fabric and services, Aaron created a solution which didn’t just tick all the boxes in terms of Part L compliance, but managed to achieve this with just half of the PV panels originally suggested, saving the developer £18,000.